Saturday, September 3, 2011

God is Love

God is love, according to 1 John 4:8. God can never do anything outside of love. He is not loving; He is love. God loves when we do not. There is not one thing a person can do that will cause God to stop loving him or her. God's arms are open to us always. God forgives so that we can repent and reestablish right relationship with him.

If I am going to be more like God, then I must allow his love to grow in me. Romans 5:5 informs us that God's love has been shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit. So, I now have the capacity to walk in unconditional love also.

Love is incompatible with the claim of my rights. Love is concerned for the rights of others. Self-absorption is the opposite of Christianity. My story is subordinate to God's story. God is glorified only when I love as he has loved me. Forgiveness is at the heart of love. Unconditional love means that I do not have a choice except to forgive and give.

Is there any person on earth, whom God does not love? I think not. Therefore, I must love every person on earth. Someone may hate me. Yet, I must love him. There are certainly people of all kinds who live differently from my values. They should not see my condemnation and disdain; they should see God's love shining through me towards them.

The essence of our belief system is loving God and loving our neighbor. According to Jesus, my neighbor is anyone I come in contact with, especially those who are hurt or in need. My actions prove what I believe about God. The golden rule is my best guide in how to relate with other people. I must always treat others in the same way I want them to treat me.

The church living together in the love of God is our best witness to those outside of our fellowship. Walking in love means that I hardly even notice mistreatment. Love is not touchy. Love does not demand its own way. Our love must also reach outside of the church walls. We love each other as the church gathers together. Our love reaches out to the world after the benediction. The church must be a preview of things to come. We must be the trailer the world views to draw them to the main event.

God is love, so must I be.

Peace,
Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment