Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Black Hole of Self

Wikipedia defines a black hole as, "a region of space from which nothing, not even light, can escape. It is the result of the deformation of space time caused by a very compact mass. Around a black hole there is an undetectable surface called an event horizon that marks the point of no return. It is called 'black' because it absorbs all the light that hits the horizon, reflecting nothing."

When I think about myself, live for myself, and am irritated when others don't do enough for me, I have just enter the event horizon. Self-interest is blinding. The event horizon is undetectable. I have been sucked down into the black hole before I realize it. I cry out for attention, but no one hears me. I demand respect. "What about me? What about my needs?" No response.

Jesus said, "You are the light of the world." (Matthew 5:14) The trouble is that I am like the moon, not the sun. I produce no light by myself. I can only reflect the light of the Son. Jesus is the light of the world. "Jesus spoke to them, saying, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'" (John 8:12)

Let's follow Jesus and reflect his light to the world. Let's live for others not for ourselves. My purpose is to reflect light so that others may come out from their darkness. My life should point the way to the source of light, God's Son. Avoid by a wide berth the event horizon. Don't be sucked down into the black hole of self. Stay close to the Light of the World.

Peace,
Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment